Grief and Loss Management
The experience of grief is something that each of us will feel at some point. Loss is a natural part of life. We form attachments and bonds to people, places, and things over time. And once that which we have become bonded too is gone, we are left with the memories, and all of the ways that bond changed and shaped us as a person. Many people feel utterly lost or incomplete after a significant loss. While grief can feel overwhelming, it is important to remember that it is a completely normal reaction to a significant loss. The grieving process is like our fingerprint. Everyone has one but they are all slightly different, and none of them are right or wrong. It is common to feel lost, angry, sad, or nothing at all. So when do you seek the guidance of a psychologist to help you get through this experience? Here are some common signs that you would benefit from additional support.
- You feel a lot of guilt. There are many “should thoughts” such as I should have called them that day and told them I loved them. Or regrets of things you did or said in the last few interactions.
- You think you could have “prevented it” in some way, or perhaps blame yourself.
- Your sleeping or eating have significantly change.
- You have started to isolate yourself from loved ones.
- You avoid anything that reminds you of who or what you lost.
- Feeling like you don’t want to live in a world without who or what you lost. Wishing you died with them.
- Significant sadness, numbness, or rumination about the death.
- Feeling like you have no one to talk to about the loss.
- Feeling like a “broken record” or a “downer” when you do talk to others.
If you identify with any of these, you can benefit from seeing a psychologist to help you heal. It is crucial for individuals dealing with grief and loss to find a therapist that they can feel safe with and connected to. It is not about “forgetting”, or “moving on”, it is about learning how to honor the presence that is now gone in a way that allows you to keep living. Call today for a free 20 minute consultation to determine if you feel connected and safe enough with me to allow me to help you heal.